Sunday, January 17, 2010

What Is Freezing Fog?

Last night I was at my computer and I noticed a weather advisory for "freezing fog".  I don't believe I have ever heard of freezing fog before.  I asked the people I was chatting with and they had never heard of it either.  We imagined it could be a solid block of ice, trapping everything inside of it until it cleared, or melted, or whatever freezing fog does when it's finished.  Of course we had a good laugh over that.
Well this morning I woke up to freezing fog and it is quite beautiful!!  Here are the pictures:


6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that's quite beautiful. It looked like the aftermath of an ice storm, until I looked at the close up tree picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claire!
    Yes, at first it did look just like an ice storm, but the tiny crystals were very light and flying through the air as if it were snowing! It was almost magical!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Bend, OR - we get freezing fog on a regular basis. This is a real treat for a California girl like me. Isn't it magical?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it truly was magical!! It is not common around here at all, even though we get plenty of wintery weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I asked the same question this morning. We were a freezing fog warning and I'd never heard of it either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool Vicki!! It looked like fairy land here!

    ReplyDelete