Thursday, September 10, 2009

Out of the Wings of Bats.....

Today I set out to make a bat skeleton out of wire. Well, I've been at this all day now and still have no bat to show for all my efforts. However, I did manage to produce something rather halloweeny anyway!
Here's what happened:

I started out by getting a picture of a bat skeleton off the internet. Wow, this is a good one!












Then I drew the skeleton on my graph paper. Hmm...Well, close enough!















Then I made some first attempts at making the wings out of wire. I was fairly happy with these, and each one I did got better than the last.











I still couldn't figure out how to do the entire skeleton. Next I attempted to make the pair of wings out of one piece of wire. That came out great. Unfortunately, I did not snap a picture of it at that point! But that's ok because it is in the finished product, which turns out is not a bat at all, but a lovely steampunk spider!! Now all I have to do is make a chain for it!

3 comments:

  1. Great spider...Halloween or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this article.
    The spider is great, but I really like how you show where the inspiration came from. That's something I really need to do more of :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post... I'm very amazed with the content of your blog. Looks like you are really putting hard work on it. I'd surely visit here often. You can come by my site if you want, it's mainly about Engagement Rings. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete