Monday, November 26, 2012

The Joy of Etching from AmongTheRuins

I have been away from my blog for quite some time.  But I have been busy learning new techniques, and making lots and lots of jewelry!
My newest love is etching brass and copper.  I started out with a small battery setup and some saltwater.  The results were so cool I had to learn more!  I have graduated now to a proper power supply, and I am also using the chemical technique using ferric chloride.  The bracelets shown here were made using the ferric chloride.
I start with a design that I print out on my laser printer.  Then I transfer the design to the metal using my iron.  Then I place it in the etchant, either saltwater hooked up with electricity, or the ferric chloride.  I do not use electricity with the ferric chloride. Someday I will write a tutorial!
These delicate little bracelets - which are not really delicate, they just look dainty - are available in my shop for just $18 each.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Love all your bracelets.
    Donna xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Donna!! It's good to know at least one person has read my blog entry!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is nice blog and beautiful bracelets .I like it , thanks for sharing it.
    wedding bands

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping by wedding bands! And thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim, got curious about you on the FB bead chat page and the sense of freedom that thread gave me and wow... you are so talented! These bangles are just gorgeous and I really like your steampunk stuff as well. YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Donni! It's been ages since I've been here on my own blog! Now I'm trying for the third time to respond to your post here...I guess I've forgotten how it all works!

    ReplyDelete